Roberts Ranch was most likely a railroad land patent in 1881. Fred Allerkamp was the original owner of part of the ranch acreage and his son, Richard Allerkamp, became heir to the ranch in 1890. He continued to operate the ranch until he sold 1, 017 acres to Louis Lich in 1911 at $2.65 an acre. In 1961 Linch sold to the next owners, Herman Swan and Zlowell Renfrom of Abilene, Texas. It became the Roberts’ ranch in 1964.
Legend has it that the men involved in the history of the Battle of the Nueces gathered in the hills, at the Big Rock - also known as the Free Thinkers Rock - along the North Fork of Cypress Creek, to plan a strategy. This rock is located just a mile from the gate entrance on Roberts Ranch Road. Legend indicates that is was once also the “hiding place” for a man wanted for treason.