YMCA OF GREATER SAN ANTONIO SPORTS WEATHER POLICY
The YMCA of Greater San Antonio is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants. The following document is outlining the Weather Policies of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio to provide a safe environment with recommendations that have been provided by our Insurance Company.
The YMCA of Greater San Antonio guarantees two make-up games per season due to inclement weather. Any game that is played to at least the 1st half will not be rescheduled. Make-up games will not be rescheduled if rained out and no more than two games in a season will be rescheduled due to weather. Practices will not be rescheduled if canceled due to inclement weather. Make-up games may be rescheduled on a Saturday during the season, during weekly practices (practices canceled), Sunday after 12:00pm or season may be extended to ensure all guaranteed games are played.
LIGHTNING AND INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
The Sports Director or Sports Coordinator will determine the inclement weather condition and notify if games/practice will continue. Decisions on game/practice times will be made as early as possible prior to your scheduled game/practice times unless conditions become unsafe after the game/practice has started. Updates will be posted on your YMCA Branch communication pages. Coaches are asked to use these guidelines in determining practice conditions and cancellations. Please understand that we will cancel based on safety for all participants.
In the event of severe weather conditions, the YMCA has a lightning safety plan with recommendations from our Insurance Company. This plan is designed to ensure safety of players, parents, and staff during thunderstorm activity.
- The Sports Director/Coordinator will stop play and instruct all participants to clear the field if lightning is seen or if thunder is heard.
- If lightning is seen or thunder is heard, Sports Director/Coordinator will immediately inform coaches and officials.
- If it is recognized as an approaching risk, activity will not resume until 30 minutes after the last lightning strike is seen and thunder has stopped. The Sports Director/Coordinator will approve this.
- Games and/or practices may be canceled if the weather is too severe or if field conditions are unsafe.
- When asked to clear the field, we ask that all participants please return to their vehicle and check for a weather update on YMCA communication pages.
TIPS FOR WARM WEATHER CONDITIONS
When warm weather conditions become extreme, please remember the following:
- Take frequent rest and water breaks.
- Drink water before you are thirsty. By the time you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated
- Wear light, loose fitting clothing made of breathable fabric and light in color.
- Listen to your body. Stop if you feel chest pain, dizzy, lightheaded, or nauseated.
Your child’s participation in the program is always at your discretion, if you feel conditions are unsafe for your family then attendance is not required.